Horse Trekking in the Cardrona Valley
Our lovely team of trekking horses are waiting to take you on an unforgettable journey into the mountains.
We have handpicked the horses for their kind and gentle temperament and behaviour both on the ground and under saddle.
There are a selection of ages, heights and “horsanalities” across the herd to cater for riders of differing weights and riding experience levels.
We use Syd Hill Half Breed saddles which are a cross between a western and Australian stock style saddle, so very comfortable for long distance riding, and very lightweight for the horses comfort. They have been fitted with “monkey straps” to the pommel (front of the saddle) for those who would like to hold on for extra stability. Also extra strapping to tie on extra clothing, camera cases etc. Children’s saddles available.
We provide a one-on-one riding lesson with each rider before the trek departs to ensure riders are confident with how to steer and stop, although we do encourage the more humane “loose rein” style of riding so you can sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery!
Call Kelly anytime on 03 443 1228 to talk about horse riding in our beautiful valley.
- Please bring; sturdy footwear, warm and weatherproof clothing, and a big smile!
- Option to purchase the photo package after the ride – take home memories of our beautiful valley from horse back!
- All levels of experience catered for. Children welcome over the age of five. We can lead from the guide horse on request.
- Maximum weight for horse riding is 105kg (Note no maximum weight for quad biking!)
- Minimum group size is two riders, single riders will be waitlisted to be confirmed upon others booking the same scheduled tour.
A Lovely Interlude on Horseback
“The Cardrona was happy to take us at short notice for a 2 hour scenic tour in the Cardrona Valley on willing but calm horses. Our guide was friendly, confident and shared interesting history of the region. A great interlude on our way to Queenstown.”